News Flash Home
The original item was published from 6/4/2020 12:11:45 PM to 6/18/2020 3:59:28 PM.

News Flash

* City News Alerts *

Posted on: June 4, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Water Street and 250 Bypass Shared Use Paths to open mid-June


JUNE 4, 2020

The City is proud to celebrate National Trails Day June 6 with the addition of two new shared use paths

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - The City is proud to celebrate National Trails Day June 6 with the addition of two new shared use paths. These trails are part of a growing system of urban paved shared use paths, stone dust connecting trails into neighborhoods and schools, and natural-surface paths throughout the city, university, and larger region. Please remember to adhere to social distancing protocols while enjoying trails around the City on National Trails Day and beyond.

Construction of the shared use path along Water Street between Belmont Bridge and 10th St NE are complete and trails are open for public use. The project created an asphalt shared use path to improve bicycle and pedestrian connectivity in the downtown area and towards the Rivanna River and Meade Park. The path will be an extension of, and is nearly the same design as, the existing asphalt path extending past the coal tower to Meade Avenue. The plan also includes street trees, new lighting, stormwater management, and pedestrian crosswalk improvements. The Belmont bridge project will connect this trail under the bridge towards the downtown mall.  

250BypassPressReleasePhotoThe 250 Bypass shared use path project provides a paved bicycle and pedestrian trail from Meadowbrook Heights Road to Hydraulic Road. The project includes a newly built retaining wall under the Dairy Road bridge to provide users with an accessible means of travel. Future projects intend to connect this trail section east to existing paved trails along 250 Bypass and through McIntire Park and the YMCA, as well as west to the Meadow Creek trail system, Michie Drive, and Route 29. 

Both projects were funded with assistance from the Virginia Department of Transportation and Federal Highways Administration through the Transportation Alternatives Program. The grants provide 80% of the project construction cost, and the City provided the other 20% as well as funding for engineering and design, and staff time to manage the projects. Both were constructed by LINCO out of Waynesboro. Project management was provided by CMA out of Lynchburg, and testing services provided by ECS out of Charlottesville. Design work was provided by Toole Design, Land Planning and Design Associates, Draper Aden, and Line+Grade.

Media Contact
Chris Gensic
Park and Trails Planner
City of Charlottesville

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in * City News Alerts *

City Seal on brown background

Vibrant Community Fund Application Link

Posted on: September 20, 2023
Rivanna Waste logo


Posted on: September 12, 2023
Charlottesville Parks and Recreation

Pen Park Fitness Trail Repairs

Posted on: September 5, 2023
Charlottesville Parks and Recreation

Tree Planting Planned for November

Posted on: September 1, 2023
Rivanna Waste logo


Posted on: August 29, 2023
washington park pool

Sunday Sundown at Washington Park Pool

Posted on: August 11, 2023
My project (2)

Commissioners and Cans Food Drive

Posted on: August 3, 2023
Logo for Charlottesville Acting on Climate Together

2023 Climate Action Work Plan Posted

Posted on: July 26, 2023
City Hall

City Hall to Reopen July 19, 2023

Posted on: July 18, 2023
tax time

Taxes Due Monday, June 5, 2023

Posted on: May 30, 2023
Green City Logo

Charlottesville DMV Select Services

Posted on: January 4, 2023
City Seal on brown background

Community Resources for Financial Relief

Posted on: November 1, 2022