FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 14, 2022
City of Charlottesville Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly or Disabled Program
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - If you own and are living in your home in the City of Charlottesville and are 65 years of age or older, or are permanently disabled, and have a yearly income of $55,000 or less and a net worth of $125,000 or less, you may qualify for Real Estate Tax Relief. Net worth excludes the fair market value of the home in which you live.
- Applicant must be 65 years of age (or older) or permanently and totally disabled (subject to verification) as of December 31, 2021;
- Property for which the exemption is claimed must be occupied as the sole dwelling of the applicant;
- Gross combined income in 2021 from all sources for applicant, applicant’s spouse, and any relatives in such dwelling shall not exceed $55,000;
- First $7,500 of income classified as permanent disability compensation for the applicant; shall be excluded from the gross income calculation;
- First $8,500 of income of each relative other than the spouse of such applicant who is living in such dwelling shall be excluded from the gross income calculation;
- Net combined financial worth, excluding the dwelling, of the applicant and applicant’s spouse as of December 31, 2021, cannot exceed $125,000.
Applicants must apply online or in-person, providing valid identification and documentation of income and net worth.
The deadline to apply is March 1, 2022. To apply online, visit www.charlottesville.gov/COR
Due to COVID-19, in-person applications should be scheduled BY APPOINTMENT (Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm) by visiting www.charlottesville.gov/COR or by calling 434-970-3160.
THERE WILL BE NO ROLLOVER USING PRIOR YEAR QUALIFICATIONS.
City of Charlottesville
Commissioner of Revenue Office