Home Weatherization Program
Energy efficiency is key to improving our environment, reducing your utility bill, and maximizing the benefits of natural gas. Small improvements to your home and your daily routine can make a big difference in reducing air pollution and your household expenses. The Charlottesville Department of Utilities provides energy conservation programs that complement the natural gas that you have come to depend on. These programs include free energy conservation tools, appliance rebates, and a partnership with Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP) to weatherize homes for income-qualified residents.
Applications can either be mailed to or submitted in-person at the Utilities Administration Building located at:
305 4th Street NW
Charlottesville, VA 22903
The Charlottesville Gas Energy Efficiency Program (CGEEP)
The Charlottesville Department of Utilities has partnered with the Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP) to launch a pilot program that offers energy efficiency upgrades at no cost to income-qualified homeowners and renters. This program will make homes more energy-efficient and comfortable, enhance household conditions, and reduce living expenses.
Qualifying improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Air Sealing
- Attic Insulation
- Hot Water Pipe Insulation
- Programmable Thermostats
- Water-Saving Improvements
- Must be a Charlottesville Gas customer (City or Albemarle County)
- Must meet household income-qualifying requirement
- Must use natural gas for home heating and/or water heating. Must heat home with a gas furnace or boiler (fireplaces do not qualify as the primary source of home heat generation).
- Available to homeowners and renters - must receive written approval from the landlord
- Single-family homes, including duplexes and townhouses
The applicant’s combined total household income for last year from all sources must be at or below:
|Family of 1||Family of 2||Family of 3||Family of 4||Family of 5|
Or if the Account Holder is 60 or Older:
|Family of 1||Family of 2|
If you do not meet CGEEP appliance qualifications or income qualifications, you can still have a Home Energy Check-Up performed at a reduced cost, and take advantage of other resources provided by LEAP. You can email LEAP or call 434-227-4666.
CGEEP is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Funding and guidelines for this program may be changed or discontinued at any time without notice.