Imagine A Day Without Water
Important Information on the 2021 Imagine a Day without Water Art Contest
Theme: "Love Our Water"
- Accepting Art Entries: October 1st - November 5th 5:00 PM ET
- Fan Favorite Voting: November 15th - 24th 5:00 PM ET
- Winners Announced: December 8th (afternoon)
Forms and Links:
Could you go a day without water? No water to drink or use to make food. No water to shower, flush the toilet, or brush your teeth. Firefighters couldn’t put out fires, pools would be closed, and farmers couldn’t water their crops.
We are excited to announce that the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County Service Authority, and Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority are holding their 7th annual Imagine a Day without Water Art Contest. Each year, we ask youth to show us why we must value and save water in our community. This year’s contest has been modified once again to allow for more flexibility during COVID-19. Our goal is to provide the youth in our community with an opportunity for them to illustrate their love for water.
This year’s art contest is accepting entries starting on October 1st in anticipation for the National Imagine a Day without Water Day on October 21st. The contest will once again be open to all students in grades K – 12th in the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County. Youth can submit original 2-D creations of any size, including original photography. We are asking the youth to consider this year’s theme of “Love Our Water” in their creation.
Submissions will still be accepted via direct mail or electronically through our submission and online voting platform. Submissions can be submitted by scanning the original work, uploading an image of the work, uploading an original photograph, or developed digitally; however, note that the means of submission may impact the quality of the artwork.
The Imagine a Day without Water Art Contest will accept artwork from October 1st to November 5th. Top entries will be made available for fan favorite voting from November 15th through 24th. Winners will be announced via press release on December 8th. Awards of a cash gift card and water conservation goodie bag will be given to the top entry in the four grade and fan favorite categories. Four teachers will also be honored for their support of the contest through a random drawing.
We are excited to see the youth’s creativity and what water means to them!
You can learn more about the Value of Water Coalition and the National Imagine a Day without Water Campaign on their website.
2021 Theme: "Love Our Water"
Accepting Art Entries: October 1st - November 5th 5:00 PM
Fan Favorite Voting: November 15th - 24th 5:00 PM
Winners Announced: December 8th- afternoon
Media Types Accepted:
- Multiple submissions are allowed! Make sure you convey the contest theme: "Love Our Water".
- Entries must be the work of one individual youth, no collaborations.
- Any original 2-dimentional artwork or photography.
- Artwork can be any size and made with any type of medium.
- Suggested sizes for drawings: 11" x 8.5" (horizontal)
- Suggested sizes for photography: 4:3 ratio (horizonal)
How to Submit your Media?
- Digital Submission Option: Available starting October 1st - November 5th 5:00 PM ET
- Submit media using our Art Contest Platform Uploader Form. Files must be JPEG/JPG, PNG, or GIF image file types.
- Note: You can scan or take a picture of your entry; however, please note this could impact the quality of your entry. When taking a picture of the art entry, please do not include a person in the picture. It is best to take a picture of the art against a contrasting, flat, one colored surface as straight on as possible.
- Mail Option: Entries must be postmarked by November 5th. Official Entry Form (PDF) must be attached to each entry.
Department of Public Works
305 4th Street NW
Charlottesville, VA 22903
- In Person: ONLY AVAILABLE JMRL Central, Northside, and Crozet Branch Libraries during their hours of service by November 5th. Official Entry Form (PDF) must be attached to each entry.
- Check their website for most up-to date hours of service.
$200 Gift Card and Water Conservation Goodie Bags!
- K - 2nd Grade Top Entry
- 3rd - 4th Grade Top Entry
- 5th - 6th Grade Top Entry
- 7th - 8th Grade Top Entry
- 9th - 12th Grade Top Entry
- Fan Favorite (Voting Online from November 15th - 24th)
- Four teachers randomly selected that participated, where the more students that participated from that teacher increased the odds of that teacher winning.
2020 5th – 6th Grade Winner Ruby Reed Guy-Wolnick
2020 Fan Favorite Winner Vivian Foutz
2017 1st – 2nd Grade Winner Nathan Jordan
2018 3rd – 4th Grade Winner Rowan Powell
2015 7th – 8th Grade Winner Esther Juwon Lee
2015 5th – 6th Grade Winner Phoebe V. Rebhorn
2019 3rd – 4th Grade Winner Timothy Choo
2015 3rd – 4th Grade Winner Reese Coggeshall
2016 5th – 6th Grade Winner Olivia Kim
2018 7th and 8th Grade Winner Bryce Yates
2018 1st – 2nd Grade winner Ben O’Hare
2020 1st – 2nd Grade Winner Ruihan (Jennifer) Xue
2015 1st – 2nd Grade Winner Harper Jewel Ullrich
2015 Fan Favorite Winner Krishabh Ban
2016 1st – 2nd Grade Winner Sarah Ni
2018 5th – 6th Grade Winner Jamie Kwon
2016 3rd – 4th Grade Winner Jingyi Li
2019 7th – 8th Grade Winner Emily Zhu
2017 5th – 6th Grade Winner Annie Meng
2019 Fan Favorite Winner Manan Jani
2019 1st – 2nd Grade Winner Lucy Sutton
2020 3rd – 4th Grade Winner Claudia Van Clief
2017 7th – 8th Grade Winner Savannah Gale
2018 Fan Favorite: Manan Jani, Agnor Hurt Elementary, Grade 5
2016 Fan Favorite Winner ShiLu DeBerry
2017 Fan Favorite Winner Elisabeth Shin
2016 7th – 8th Grade Winner Marco Lopez
2019 5th – 6th Grade Winner Beatrice Mitchell
2017 3rd – 4th Grade Winner Sophie Rubin
2020 7th – 8th Grade Winner Shoukufeh Alizada