Outreach & Engagement
The Energy and Water Management Program (EWMP) supports efforts to help City staff implement energy and water efficient strategies and behavior in the workplace. The program uses education and outreach to City staff and those that utilize City facilities around what they can do and how their behaviors might have an impact on a buildings utility usage.
There are two primary outreach audiences the EWMP are supporting involving City staff and Charlottesville City Schools.
Outreach initiatives include checklists for offices to reduce their energy and water impacts, Better Business Challenge efforts for both City and School buildings, and partnership between the EWMP and Schools.
Better Business Challenge
The City of Charlottesville and Charlottesville City Schools are part of the current Better Business Challenge being hosted by the Community Climate Collaborative. The hope is that this challenge will not only help improve the performance side of the many City managed buildings but also encourage involvement from staff and students to change some behaviors.
Learn more about the Better Business Challenge on the Challenge Website.
Energy and Water Management in Charlottesville City Schools
Charlottesville City Schools and the City’s Energy and Water Management Team (EWMT) are working together to reduce the energy and water footprint of all City schools. On April 11th, 2019 the School Board approved an Energy and Water Performance resolution, showing a commitment to achieving and maintaining high performing school facilities.
The EWMT is working with each school to raise awareness about energy and water saving practices through education and outreach efforts that include distributing educational materials and providing tips and strategies that students and faculty can use to reduce the energy and water impact at our schools.
Each quarter a different theme emphasizes aspects of energy and water efficiency/conservation. The 2019-2020 themes are:
- Fall (September – November): The Value of Energy and Water
- Winter (December – February): Understanding Our Energy and Water Use
- Spring (March – May): Reducing our Energy and Water Waste
- Summer (June – August): Keep Going! Summertime Savings
You can read more about our programs join efforts on the Charlottesville City School’s Energy and Water Management Program Page.
The Value of Energy & Water
- Last one out? Flip the switch!
- Turn the water off when not in use.
Understanding our Energy & Water Use
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room
- Make an effort to unplug personal electronics
- Turn the water off when not in use
- If you see a water leak or hear a running toilet, report it!
Reducing our Energy & Water Waste
- Keep outside doors closed
- Fill up your reusable water bottle with tap water
- If you see a water leak or open outside door, report it!