What should I do if I do not understand or speak English?

The court cannot guarantee an interpreter will be present to assist you. We can utilize Interpretalk, which is a telephone interpreting service. You are welcome to bring a family member or friend to accompany you that speaks English to assist you in the process. For other languages the court will have to make arrangements or use Interpretalk. I-CAN! Virginia is also available in Spanish. Just follow the prompts when you begin the program.

Show All Answers

1. What are Protective Orders?
2. Where is the Magistrate’s Office located and how do I contact them?
3. Where is the court located?
4. Is there anyone else I can talk to if I have questions or I am in fear of the person committing these acts?
5. What should I bring to court with me?
6. What should I not bring to court with me?
7. Who should I bring with me to court?
8. What should I do if I feel I am in immediate danger?
9. What should I do if I do not understand or speak English?
10. What if I have a physical disability?
11. Where can I park?
12. What are the related Virginia Code sections?
13. What do I do after obtaining an Emergency Protective Order?
14. What should I do with the order?