FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 27, 2020
New guidelines for submitting plans to NDS during COVID-19
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - Beginning Friday May 1, 2020, Neighborhood Development Services will have document drop off hours from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. each Friday. The Market Street door to City Hall will open on Friday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for document drop off only. Applicants will have the opportunity to enter the building, place items on the conference room table and then exit the building.
Items dropped off should be bound and contain a cover document with the following information: project name, project number, city contact, applicant name and contact and detailed description of the materials in the packet.
Interaction with staff to confirm application requirements, fees and other items must be performed in advance of this drop off time frame by calling 434-970-3182 or contacting your project contact. There will be no face to face technical support available on site during these drop off opportunities.
Guidance provided on development applications on April 9, 2020 still remains in effect and is summarized here:
How does the development process work now that City Hall is closed?
Pending Developments—we are continuing to process applications and requests pertaining to pending development projects [already in the pipeline], such as the following:
- Review of site plans and plats that were received for initial review on or before March 12, 2020,
- Review of re-submissions of site plans and plats, where the re-submission was received for initial review on or before March 12, 2020,
- Review of stormwater management plans and erosion and sediment control plans that were submitted for initial review, or re-submitted following initial review, on or before March 12, 2020,
- Review of building permit applications,
- Review of bond submission and reduction requests,
- Review of applications for certificates of occupancy,
- All other requests normally available through the Building, Engineering, Utilities, and Zoning functions of NDS.
HOW TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH PENDING DEVELOPMENTS
Building Permits, Fire Suppression, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing permits, and certificates of occupancy requests:
- Send hard copy/ plans by USPS addressed as follows: Department of Neighborhood Development Services, Attention: Permitting, PO Box 911, Charlottesville, VA 22902. Drop off of full packages on Fridays between 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. is also an option.
- In addition to submitting hard copies of your applications/ requests, Contractors/ owners must contact the office by telephone (434-970-3182) and leave a message with their information.
- Permit technicians will contact the permit applicant if additional information is needed, after receipt of the hard copy plans.
- The permit fee schedule is available online and if you need assistance calculating fees email technicians Lisa Barmore ( email@example.com ) or Deronda Eubanks ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
All other applications for Pending Developments (such as site plan and plat resubmissions; E&S Plan resubmissions, Stormwater Management Plan resubmissions, bond reduction requests, submission of as-built plans, requests for inspections, etc.)
- Send hard copy of the application, plans, comment response letter, application fee payments and any other materials requests by the reviews as applicable (full packet format—just as usual, review of an application will not commence until a complete set of application materials and fees has been received in hard copy), addressed to: Neighborhood Development Services, Attention [name of planner assigned to the development], City Hall, PO Box 911, Charlottesville, Virginia. Drop off of full packages on Fridays between 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. is also an option with proper cover document.
- Send a courtesy electronic copy of the application materials to the planner assigned to the development.
What Applications is the City NOT able to accept at this time?
New Development Proposals—at this time, we regret that we are not able to accept new applications/ petitions for:
- Rezoning (including PUDs)
- Special Use Permits (SUPs)
- Site Plans or Plats for Major Developments (any development that involves 6 or more lots, or which involves the creation of any new streets or extension of public utilities or facilities regardless of the number of lots);
- any application(s) which require any community meeting, public meeting, public hearing, or other approval(s) by City Council or any board/ commission
We hope this drop off option, in addition to USPS deliveries, will assist in improving continuity of operations.
Director of Communications
City of Charlottesville