Filing a Complaint
To File an Official Complaint Against the Police
Community members may choose one of the several options listed below to file a complaint against a CPD employee.
- Visit the Board's online portal at Charlottesvilleva.siviltech.com
- Email the Board at email@example.com
- send a letter to: ATTN: Police COB P.O. Box 911 Charlottesville, VA 22902
- CALL: (434) 970-3794
- FAX: (434) 970-3890
In the portal, email, letter, phone call or fax please provide:
- Identifying information for the person filing the complaint.
- A statement describing the reasons for the complaint.
- The specific police behavior of concern.
- A description of the incident in which the behavior occurred.
- A list of the names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses to or persons with knowledge of the incident known.
- The names and badge numbers (if known) of the officers involved.
The Charlottesville Police Department is informed of all complaints, but your name will be kept anonymous if you do not wish for us to provide it. If you need help filing a complaint, please contact the Board.
Charlottesville Police Civilian Oversight Board