FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 5, 2021
This year, we are having a month-long “Fix a Leak” focus with lots of fun events for you to get involved in.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - The City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County Service Authority (ACSA), and Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority (RWAS) are celebrating Fix a Leak for the entire month of March by hosting several "events" to help encourage our community to save water and fix a leak!
Fix a Leak Week is a national campaign sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) WaterSense program, which seeks to inform the public on how to identify and fix leaks. By making fixes, Americans put a stop to the more than 1 trillion gallons of water being wasted from household leaks each year. Fix a Leak Week occurs in March each year and this year it is March 15th – 21st.
Due to COVID-19, we are extending the focus on fixing leaks for the entire month of March with three main events: Home Scavenger Hunt, River Scavenger Hunt, and Virtual Fix a Leak Family 5K. All events are FREE and open for anyone in the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County to participate.
- The Home Scavenger Hunt focuses helping you get to know your water fixtures and make sure that none are leaking in the place you live. Complete the Home Scavenger Hunt Worksheet and submit by April 9th to be entered to win a special water saving prize!
- The River Scavenger Hunt gets you outside and enjoying the Rivanna River. Find water and leak related signs along the Rivanna River Trail either by starting at Riverview Park or Darden Towe Park Boat Launch. Look for our Detective Flo mascot image to identify the signs that will help you fill in the River Scavenger Hunt Worksheet. Complete the worksheet and submit by April 9th to be entered to win a special water saving prize!
- You can't have Fix a Leak Month without a race to catch the running toilet, so we are holding a Virtual Fix a Leak Family 5K! This 5K is FREE and you will get all materials digitally about the race, how to save water, and how to stop that running toilet! You have until March 31st to run your 5K and submit your results, and you will be entered to win a special water saving prize! Registration for the 5K is open now.
This Fix a Leak Month we remind the community to help save water and keep our water supply sustainable. Three steps you can do this month to save water are to check, twist, and replace:
- CHECK for leaks. Look and listen for running toilets and dripping faucets, showerheads, sprinklers, spigots, and other fixtures.
- TWIST and tighten hose and pipe connections. To save water in your bathroom without a noticeable difference in flow, twist on a WaterSense labeled faucet aerator.
- REPLACE the fixture if necessary. Look for WaterSense labeled models. These models are independently certified to use 20 percent less water and perform as well as or better than standard models.
“Finding and fixing leaks is so important and can help save homes thousands of gallons of water each year,” said Jill Greiner, City of Charlottesville’s Water Efficiency Program Coordinator. “We hope these events bring awareness to this important topic and encourage the community to nip that drip in the bud!”
More information about the Fix a Leak Month Events and Scavenger Hunt Worksheets: www.charlottesville.gov/FixALeak
To Register for the Virtual Fix a Leak Family 5K: https://runsignup.com/Race/VA/Charlottesville/VirtualFixaLeak5K
Water Efficiency Program Coordinator
City of Charlottesville