Sister Cities Commission
3rd Thursday of the month at 4:30 p.m.
City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room
The Commission is composed of representatives from the following areas:
- 1 from business community
- 1 from higher educational institution
- 1 citizen representing each sister city (4)
- 5 citizens at large
- 1 from K-12 educational institution
- 1 youth representative
3 years (3 term limit)
The City of Charlottesville is an active member of Sister Cities International, a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network that creates and strengthens partnerships between U.S. and international communities. This network strives to build global cooperation at the municipal level, promote cultural understanding and stimulate economic development. Appointed by Council, the Charlottesville Sister City Commission is an organizing body devoted to assisting the individual Sister City relationships with community activities and promotion.
The charge of the Commission is as follows: Plan and coordinate Sister City activities; seek private funding for activities and operations; promote Sister Cities to the community; establish guidelines for future Sister Cities; establish subcommittee for each Sister City; advise and oversee staffing; and evaluate need for non-profit entity.
The Charlottesville Sister Cities Commission is always looking for citizens to participate as Council-appointed commissioners and project volunteers as well as applicants for its annual grants. Residents of the City of Charlottesville can apply to fill the non-paying commissioner positions as they become available; City Council makes appointments based on those applications.
To contact the Sister Cities Commission please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Charlottesville’s Sister Cities
- Joan Clarke, Pleven Bulgaria
- Amanda Folsom, At-Large
- Nana Ghartey, Winneba Representative
- Michael Grinnell, At-Large (Treasurer)
- Daman Irby, Higher Education (Co-Chair)
- Kate Kogge, At-Large (Co-Chair)
- Stella Mattioli, Poggio a Caiano
- Neely Minton, K-12 Education
- Dave Norris, At-Large
- Elizabeth Smiley, Besancon
- Kyna Thomas, Staff Liaison (Clerk of Council)
- Adrienne Ward, At-Large
For more information on the Charlottesville Sister Cities Program, please visit our website.