Updated - May 21
Please see the updated list below of facility/amenity changes, closures and cancellations.
Statement Regarding Closing/Opening Decisions:
The decisions to close/open Parks & Recreation facilities/amenities is not solely based on State or Federal guidelines but is made through the collaboration between Parks & Recreation, City Management and City Council by evaluating factors such as public safety and health, operational expenses and staffing. We understand these decisions may be disappointing for many residents but we are hopeful that the City will be able to re-open some or all of our recreational facilities at a later date if public health risks subside and/or the City’s financial outlook stabilizes.
2020 Summer Facility Closures and Cancellations
- Swimming Pools
- Spray Grounds
- Summer Camps
Closed Facilities/Amenities (until further notice)
- All Indoor Recreation Centers and Pools
- All Playgrounds on Park or City School Property
- All Outdoor Basketball Courts, Tennis Courts and Picnic Shelters
- Downtown Administration Office
- Park Restrooms
- Meadowcreek Golf Course
- Charlottesville Skate Park
- Parking Lots at the Following Parks: McIntire Park, Pen Park, Tonsler Park and Washington Park
- Sugar Hollow Reservoir
- Registered programs at closed facilities are cancelled until further notice. Some programs and/or virtual programs may be able to be added on a limited basis at a later date. All special events for the summer season are cancelled.
- All City Parks and Trails (see list of park amenities closed above). Utilize social distancing while using parks and trails.
- The City Market has switched to an online ordering and pick-up model. For more information, please visit the City Market landing page.
Dog Park Guidelines
Dog parks are still open, but are limited to only ten (10) people at a time in the fenced in area until further notice.
Customers affected by the program/event cancellations will receive additional information from Charlottesville Parks & Recreation regarding refund options.