Charlottesville Affordable Housing Fund
Notice of Funding Availability
The City of Charlottesville is accepting applications from qualified applicants for Fiscal Year 2022 Charlottesville Affordable Housing Fund (CAHF) funding awards.
Approximately $750,000 of CAHF funding is available for award during this application period. The application packet outlining who is eligible to apply for funding, the types of projects the CAHF supports, and application instructions can be accessed on the Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) and Application for Funding (PDF).
Funding applications are due no later than 4 pm, Friday February 18, 2022.
Staff Contact: Alex Ikefuna, email@example.com, (434)-970-3127; Interim Director Office of Community Solutions.
About the CAHF
The Charlottesville Affordable Housing Fund (CAHF) was established in 2007 by the City of Charlottesville to provide a flexible funding mechanism for housing-related projects. The primary purpose of the CAHF is to provide financial resources to address the affordable housing needs of individuals and families who live or work in the City by promoting, preserving and producing quality, long-term affordable housing options; providing housing related services to low-income and moderate-income households; and providing support for non-profit and for profit organizations that actively address the affordable housing needs of low- and moderate-income households.
The CAHF receives annual appropriations through the City of Charlottesville’s Capital Improvement Program budgeting process with additional funding through developer cash contributions through the City’s Affordable Dwelling Unit Ordinance, voluntary cash contributions made through developer proffers, and repayment of loans made through the CAHF. Since the fund’s inception, the Charlottesville City Council has committed more than $20 million towards affordable housing in the City.
Annual Allocations to the CAHF
|Fiscal Year||CIP Appropriation|
How to Request Funding
- The City utilizes a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) process, with applications for CAHF funding being accepted June through July with funds awarded in September through October.
- Additional rounds may be offered pending funding availability.
- Off-cycle funding requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the City’s Housing Program Coordinator.
- View a copy of the current NOFA materials (PDF).
Types of Projects Funded
Eligible uses of CAHF funds include, but are not limited to:
- Land acquisition and assembly
- Land development
- Pre-development expenses
- Construction of supported affordable homeowner or rental housing units
- Construction of mixed-income communities
- Increasing housing accessibility and/or visibility
- Homeowner or rental property rehabilitation
For more details about eligible uses of CAHF funding, please refer to Housing Policy 1.
Questions regarding this fund should be directed to John Sales at 434-970-3315 or via email.