Fix a Leak
Fix a Leak Week is a national campaign sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) WaterSense program, which seeks to inform the public on how to identify and fix leaks. By making fixes, Americans put a stop to the more than 1 trillion gallons of water being wasted from household leaks each year. Fix a Leak Week occurs in March each year. The Charlottesville Water Conservation Program promotes the Fix a Leak Week and campaign each year with various events and outreach.
Celebrate finding and fixing water leaks this March!
This March the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County Service Authority (ACSA), and Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority (RWSA) are hosting FREE and VIRTUAL events to help encourage our community to save water and FIX A LEAK.
2023 Fix a Leak Events
Put on your detective hat and help us find and fix leaks in your home by going on your own home scavenger hunt! Please make sure to complete and submit the entire worksheet (FRONT AND BACK) to be eligible for to win a special prize.
- 2023 Fix a Leak Home Scavenger Hunt Worksheet (PDF)
- Digital Submission for Home Scavenger Hunt Worksheet (LINK)
- Submit your responses by March 31st!
- Online: Submission link will be live March 1st - March 31st
- By Mail: Water Conservation, 305 4th Street NW, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- By Drop Box: Include with your utility bill to the City or ACSA
- Other Helpful Resources
- Home Water Works Calculator (LINK)
- Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority (water wholesaler) (LINK)
- Arizona Municipal Water Users Association Smart Home Water Guide (LINK)
- Request a Practical Plumbing Handbook (City of Charlottesville Residents Only) (LINK)
- Take the WaterSense 10-Minute Leak Challenge (PDF)
- Spanish Translated 10-Minute Leak Challenge (PDF)
You can't have Fix a Leak Events without a running toilet! Help us stop the running toilet by participating in our Virtual Fix a Leak Family 5K! Registration and results submission will be open March 1st - 31st.
- 2023 Virtual Fix a Leak Family 5K Race Website
- Virtual Fix a Leak Family 5K Race Packet (PDF)
- Suggested 5K Routes from Past Fix a Leak Family 5K Races (PDF)
Fix a Leak Prizes
- For EACH Fix a Leak event (Home Scavenger Hunt and 5K) you participate in, you will be entered to win a $50 gift card from a local gardening business! For the Home Scavenger Hunt, you must complete the worksheet in full and provide your contact information to be eligible. For the 5K participants, you must register and submit your results to be eligible.
- Top 5K finishers will receive a $50 gift card to a local running shop.
RiverFest is not officially part of our Fix a Leak events this year as it is well past the month of March. However, it is still an amazing event to come learn about and enjoy the Rivanna River, one of our drinking water sources. We will have a table at this year's event with family friendly activities. More details to come, come celebrate and experience your river!
Go to the event webpage for full list of activities and details: rivannariver.org/rivanna-riverfest.
Fix a Leak Tips
To help save water for future generations, we are asking consumers to check, twist, and replace:
- Check for leaks. Look for dripping faucets, showerheads, sprinklers, and other fixtures. Also check for toilets with silent leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring or use a dye tab from the free conservation kits offered at the Utility Billing Office into the tank, waiting 10 minutes, and seeing if color appears in the bowl before you flush. Don’t forget to check irrigation systems and spigots too.
- Twist and tighten hose and pipe connections. To save water without a noticeable difference in flow in your bathroom, twist on a WaterSense labeled faucet aerator.
- Replace the fixture if necessary. Look for WaterSense labeled models. These models are independently certified to use 20% less water and perform as well as or better than standard models. WaterSense showerheads and faucet aerators are available for free for City residents at the Utility Billing Office in City Hall.