The Charlottesville Department of Social Services is one of 120 local departments in Virginia’s state-supervised, locally-administered public social services system. The Department is an agency of city government which administers federal, state, and local public assistance and family service programs.
Social Services Advisory Board
The Social Services Advisory Board is currently accepting applications for new members.
Apply online by December 10, 2021.
- Available Programs
- Applying for Benefits
- Report Possible Adult or Child Abuse
- Contact the Department
- Submit documents to my benefits case worker
- equal Opportunity
The department administers benefits programs to help meet the basic needs and promote self-sufficiency for low-income individuals and their families and family services programs to protect children and adults from abuse and neglect and to promote and support the development of healthy families.
Citizens can apply for benefits:
- Online through the customer portal called Commonhelp
- Through a paper application that can be obtained at our office in the city hall annex, 120 7th Street, NE, or online.
Benefit applications are taken daily from 8 am to 5 pm. Intake interviews are by appointment only. Please contact us at 434-970-3400 to schedule an appointment. If needed, appointments can be scheduled outside of our regular hours of operation upon request.
During regular business hours, call our office at 434-970-3400 and ask to speak to the on call worker.
After business hours or on holidays, call the following toll free phone numbers - these phone lines are open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week:
- Virginia Child Protective Services Hotline Phone: 1-800-552-7096
- Virginia Adult Protective Services Hotline Phone: 1-888-832-3858
- Adult protective services concerns can also be reported online
Our goal is to notify your Case Worker within 2 business days of receipt of your email.
It is very important that your email contains the following: First name, last name, case number, and best contact phone number.
Please be aware that your case processing may be delayed, if all requested information is not complete, signed in all required areas, and submitted on time.
If you have any questions, please contact your case worker directly or call (434) 970-3400 for information.
We have various ways you may submit documents:
• In Outside Dropbox on first level of City Annex building (120 7th St NE)
• By mail: Charlottesville Dept. of Social Services (CDSS), P.O. Box 911, Charlottesville VA 22902
• Your account in Common Help at https://commonhelp.virginia.gov/access
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fax to (434) 970-3444
• Cover Virginia 1-855-242-8282
• VDSS call center 1-855-635-4370
If you need to replace your EBT card, please contact: 1 866-281-2448
In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write to the:
USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
You may also call 800-795-3272 (voice) or 202-720-6382 (TTY).