- Departments L-V
- Procurement & Risk Management
- Vendor Registration
- Supplier Diversity Programs
Supplier Diversity Programs
The City of Charlottesville is committed to providing opportunities for all responsible businesses. In doing so, it is the policy of the City to make every reasonable effort to increase opportunities for participation of Small, Women and Minority-Owned (SWaM-O) and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) businesses in all aspects of the City’s procurement.
Federal & Local Programs
The City’s Supplier Diversity Programs include:
- The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program: the federal supplier diversity program.
- The Minority Business Program: a partnership between the City’s Office of Economic Development and the Division of Procurement and Risk Management.
The City’s DBE Officer is the Manager of the City’s Procurement operations. The Minority Business Program is managed by the Minority Business Procurement Coordinator in the Division of Procurement and Risk Management and the Minority Business Development Coordinator in the Office of Economic Development.
The City’s Office of Economic Development employs a Chief of Workforce Development Strategist a Minority Business Development Coordinator to help both emerging and existing businesses successfully compete in both the public and private sectors. Please visit the City’s Minority Business Program web page for information about the Community Directory of small, minority and women-owned businesses, events, special programs, and initiatives.
Minority Business Directory
The Minority Business Directory (MBD) (XLSX) lists the Minority and Women Owned Businesses certified through the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD).
- Lists only SWaM-O certified businesses located in the Planning District 10 area that sell goods or services that the City purchases.
- The directory is organized by high-level NIGP category and may not represent each code a vendor registered.
The City encourages qualified businesses to become SWaM-O and/or DBE certified. These certifications are important to the City’s programs which facilitate the participation of small business and businesses owned by women, minorities and service-disabled veterans in procurement transactions.
Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) SWaM-O Certification (State Program)
- Beneficial for businesses looking to compete in State procurement processes.
- 42% of state funds must be apportioned to SWaM-O-certified businesses.
- Small, Women and Minority-Owned Business Certification (SWaM-O) -State Program
Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) Certifications (Federal Program)
- Beneficial for businesses looking to compete in Federal procurement processes.
- Charlottesville Area Transit’s goal is 5.7% of Federal USDOT and FTA funds be apportioned to DBE-certified businesses.
- The City receives other federal grants, and those contracts may also require a specific DBE goal.
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification (DBE) - Federal Program