Community Attention Youth Internship
CAYIP Summer 2020 Announcement:
The health and safety of our program participants, partners, and community as a whole is top priority. With this in mind, we have designed an online platform for the upcoming session of the Community Attention Youth Internship Program: The CAYIP Virtual Learning Academy.
- To teach workplace readiness skills.
- To assist youth in career exploration.
- To help youth identify their strengths and build resiliency.
- To connect youth to positive adults and to resources in the community.
- The Virtual Learning Academy will be held in a Google Classroom Platform.
- All participants will be assigned a CAYIP counselor who meets with the youth through a virtual platform a minimum of once a week.
- Youth will have online modules and two virtual classroom meetings a week. Youth have the opportunity to earn a performance-based stipend up to $100 per week (not to exceed $500 per session).
- Youth will explore topics such as effective communication strategies and active listening skills, conflict resolution, banking and budgeting, interview skills and strategies, career exploration.
- Youth will work with staff to complete a resume and final project at the end of the session.
- Virtual classroom meetings will offer course content and guest speakers from the community.
Application and Acceptance Process:
- The Program is open to Charlottesville City residents aged 14-21.
- Youth will be able to apply May 5, 2020 – June 12, 2020.
- Youth will need to complete a CAYIP Application.
- Youth and families are able to request a paper version of the form be mailed to them through the CAYIP Inquires.
- This session of CAYIP will also have a smaller number of interns in the cohort than previous years. We will continue to monitor the situation for health and safety and respond as necessary.
CAYIP Virtual Academy Timelines:
- May 5, 2020- June 12, 2020: Application submission
- May 18, 2020- June 19, 2020: Applicant interviews (These will take place through virtual platforms such a Zoom and WebEx. When necessary, accommodations will be made that are in compliance with health and safety guidelines).
- July 13, 2020- August 14, 2020: The Virtual Learning Academy held in Google Classroom Platform.
- Youth who have already completed applications for the summer do not need to reapply to be considered for the session. They will be contacted by CAYIP staff to be notified of the programmatic changes.