Community Attention Youth Internship
CAYIP COVID-19 Announcement: Summer Session 2021
The health and safety of our program participants, partners, and community as a whole is top priority. With this in mind, we will continue to offer an online platform of the Community Attention Youth Internship Program: The CAYIP Virtual Learning Academy for Summer Session 2021. It is our hope to return to in-person programming starting fall 2021.
- To teach workplace readiness skills.
- To assist youth in career exploration.
- To help youth identify their strengths and build resiliency.
- To connect youth to positive adults and to resources in the community.
- The Virtual Learning Academy will be held in a Google Classroom Platform.
- All participants will be assigned a CAYIP counselor who meets with the youth through a virtual platform a minimum of once a week.
- Youth will have online modules and two virtual classroom meetings a week. This summer, youth will have the opportunity to earn a performance-based stipend up to $120 per week (not to exceed $600 per session).
- Youth will explore topics such as effective communication strategies and active listening skills, conflict resolution, banking and budgeting, interview skills and strategies, career exploration.
- Youth will work with staff to complete a resume and final project at the end of the session.
- Virtual classroom meetings will offer course content and guest speakers from the community.
Application and Acceptance Process:
- The program is open to City of Charlottesville youth between the ages of 14-21.
- Youth will be able to apply now until Friday, May 28th , 2021 at 5pm.
- Youth will need to complete a CAYIP Application.
- Youth and families are able to request a paper version of the form be mailed to them through the CAYIP Inquiries.
- This session of CAYIP will also have a smaller number of interns in the cohort than previous years.
- We will continue to monitor the situation for health and safety and respond as necessary.
CAYIP Virtual Academy Timelines: Spring Session 2021
- April 30, 2021 - May 28, 2021 5pm: Application submission window.
- May 11, 2020- June 11, 2021: Applicant interviews (These will take place through virtual platforms such a Zoom and WebEx. When necessary, accommodations will be made that are in compliance with health and safety guidelines).
- June 14 - June 18, 2021: Youth notified of acceptance
- July 6, 2021- August 8, 2021: The Virtual Learning Academy held in Google Classroom Platform.
Interested in Learning More?
Check out our CAYIP Video.