- Departments L-V
- Water Quality
- Lead Service Line Inventory
Lead Service Line Inventory
Lead Service Line Inventory - What You Need to Know
In 2021, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released the much anticipated revisions to the Lead and Copper Rule. In accordance with this ruling, the EPA is requiring all water providers to identify and create an inventory of all water service lines within their distribution system. The goal of this program is to identify and replace lead service lines that may still be in existence. The EPA has confirmed an October 2024 deadline for this inventory to be completed, and since January 2022, the City’s Department of Utilities has been diligently working towards this goal.
Unlike other cities, especially in the Northeast, the City of Charlottesville has never had a lead service or material issue. Although lead service lines were banned from use in Virginia by 1987, the Department of Utilities has records going back to 1975 stating that 98% of our water service lines at that time, were made from galvanized steel, with the remaining 2% being copper. Through our research, water quality testing, and interviews with experienced City personnel, we are confident that NO lead service lines exist within our community.
How Can I Help?
The EPA is requiring that we also identify the material of all privately owned water services. This portion of the line extends from the back of your water meter to your residence, where it eventually connects to your indoor plumbing. The entire section of this line is commonly found on private property, and therefore, the City does not have adequate records to demonstrate what the pipe material is.
To continue working towards this goal, the Department of Utilities is asking for your help in identifying and reporting your service line material, and has created a Lead Service Line Inventory Survey to walk you through the necessary steps in identifying your service line material. As part of this process, you will be asked a series of questions followed by a request to photograph and submit an image of the service line.
Access to clean, safe, and reliable water is the number one priority for the Department of Utilities, and the 2023 Water Quality Report (PDF) confirms that the city’s drinking water exceeds all safety standards and poses no threat to public health. For help identifying your service line material or if you have any questions regarding the new Lead and Copper Rule, please feel free to call Utilities staff at
(434) 970-3800 or email at