Small Business Relief Grant Summary

City Delivers an Additional $690,000 in Relief to Small Businesses

The City of Charlottesville Office of Economic Development (OED) is pleased to announce that 123 small businesses will receive funds from the second round of the Small Business Relief Grant (SBRG) program. The program received 63 new qualified applications between October 19th and October 23rd and funded 60 previously received and qualified applicants from the initial round of applications in July. Nine event focused non-profit organizations received relief funding as well.  

Of those successful applicants 70% qualified to receive $5,000 with the remaining 30% eligible to receive $10,000. The grant amount is directly related to the size of the business. 

30% of recipients identified as business owners who are socially disadvantaged (i.e., those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as members of a group) and 25% identified as minority-owned city business owners. Additional demographic information can be found below.

View the full list of Small Business Relief Grant Recipients (pdf).

The SBRG was created to help small businesses that have endured significant business interruption due to the required closures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

All City-based, small businesses were eligible to apply for grant funds. Preference was given to industries that have been recognized as being the most impacted by COVID-19 including: hospitality and entertainment, retail trade and employment, restaurant and food services, and administrative support services. 

The Small Business Relief Grant is funded by a portion of the City’s Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding.   Since the onset of the pandemic in March 2020, the OED has administered over $2,000,000 in grants, loans and other supports to City businesses. 

Self-Reported Demographics of SBRG 2.0 Recipients:

8%Asian / Pacific Islander
14% Black or African American
2%Hispanic
59%White / Caucasian
5%Multiple ethnicity / Other
12%Prefer not to answer


City Delivers $750,000 in Relief to Small Businesses

The City of Charlottesville Office of Economic Development (OED) is pleased to announce that 128 small businesses have received funds from the Small Business Relief Grant (SBRG) program. The program received 200 qualified applications between July 13th and July 17th. See the full list of businesses here (PDF).

Of those successful applicants 73% qualified to receive $5,000 with the remaining 27% eligible to receive $10,000. The grant amount is directly related to the size of the business.

51% of recipients identified as business owners who are socially disadvantaged (i.e., those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as members of a group) and 38% identified as minority-owned city business owners. Additional demographic information can be found below. 

View the full list of  Small Business Relief Grant Recipients (PDF).

The SBRG was created to help small businesses that have endured significant business interruption due to the required closures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

All City-based, small businesses were eligible to apply for grant funds. Preference was given to industries that have been recognized as being the most impacted by COVID-19 including: hospitality and entertainment, retail trade and employment, restaurant and food services, and administrative support services. In addition, one-half of the total number of grants were designated for businesses that are owned by individuals who are socially disadvantaged (i.e., those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as members of a group). 

The Small Business Relief Grant is funded with $750,000 of the City’s Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding.  Should additional CARES dollars be made available to the City, a second round of business relief funding may be possible.  

Interested businesses should check back here to stay informed on a possible second round of funding and other assistance programs. 

Self-Reported Demographics of SBRG Recipients:

2%American Indian or Alaskan Native
10%Asian / Pacific Islander
16%Black or African American
4%Hispanic
59%White / Caucasian
6%Multiple ethnicity / Other
3%Prefer not to answer