Commissioner of Revenue
Starting on July 20, 2020, The Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office will be open from 9am to 4pm for in-person transactions by appointment only. Due to social distancing requirements and limitations on the number of staff who can be in the building together at any given time, controls intended to keep staff and the public safe will be implemented.
Appointments with the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office can be made ONLINE or by phone at 434-970-3160.
Important COVID-19 Notice:
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic the Commissioner of Revenues Office will be implementing the following customer contact policy until further notice:
- We will be open BY APPOINTMENT ONLY beginning on Monday, July 20, 2020. Schedule an appointment with us.
- As always, business tax filings and payments can be made via US mail, online or at any of the drop-boxes located on 6th street, 7th street or the Drive-up box by the Key Rec Center.
Our Mailing address is:
Charlottesville Commissioner of the Revenue
P.O. BOX 2964
Charlottesville, VA 22902
- We are available by telephone or email for all inquires:
|Personal Property Tax||Business License Tax|
|Real Estate Tax Relief for Elderly and Disabled or Charlottesville Housing Affordability Program||Meals & Lodging Tax|
|Rent Relief for Elderly and Disabled||Short Term Daily Rental Tax|
|State Income||General Business Tax Inquires|
The Commissioner of the Revenue is the chief tax assessing officer of the local government. It is an elected office. The existence of this position is set forth in the Constitution of Virginia, and so is called a Constitutional Office. The Commissioner of the Revenue serves a four-year term at the pleasure of the voters.
Programs administered by the Commissioner of the Revenue include:
- Business License Tax
- Business Personal Property Tax
- Meals and Lodging Tax (AirBnB/HomeStay Operators)
- Personal Property Tax
- Real Estate Tax Relief
- Rental Relief for the Elderly and/or Disabled
- Vehicle License Fee
- Virginia State Income Tax